- WordPress, it seems, is back to normal. The site seemed to be down for a while yesterday, as I couldn’t get on any of my dashboards and even the sites themselves seemed to have difficulty loading.
- The highlight of the weekend was hubby and I going to see Puss In Boots yesterday. The Face in giant screen 3D. Oh yeah. Of course the most fun for us was the fact that Selma Hyeck plays his love interest, Kitty Soft Paws. C’mon. You know you’ve wanted to see those two together again ever since Desperado.
- No one came to Friday’s open house. We didn’t expect much but we’d at least expected a few people to swing by, have a muffin. But no. We’re taking it off the market in December and will try again in the spring. If nothing else, I have the winter to enjoy my new backsplash.
- On the writing front I’m getting somewhat back in the groove. Wednesday: 535, Thursday: 729, Friday: 652. I didn’t write on Saturday because I used up my free time getting in an extra long workout to counter balance the fantabulous dinner we were going to have. I also made the realization that the scene I’d been working on Friday was one, big, massive dialogue based info dump and really didn’t add to the conflict. Um, oops. So the writing road is kinda bumpy right now. I know this book will need some substantial revisions on the next pass. But I’m determined to keep pushing forward through the rough patches–even if the writing machine kind of bottoms out–and get to the end.
- Most of my craft books are in storage somewhere, but I’ve got Plot and Structure in E, so I think I’ll start dipping into that. I haven’t read a lot of craft stuff this year. Been busy doing the actual writing. But I think it’s time for a reset. In that vein, Andrew Mocete had a nice breakdown of why flashbacks are generally bad (according to Dwight Swain’s Techniques of the Selling Writer, which I read a couple years ago). It’s a really nice reminder. And that’s kind of the thing. I’ve read loads of books on craft, but it’s really hard to remember everything all the time, so that’s why I like to keep coming back to stuff. I usually get a nice lightbulb moment of “Oh, right, I should be doing x, y, z.”
- I’ll be having a short week at work this week. Hubs and I are going on vacation to Tybee Island, Georgia for a long weekend. We’ve rented a cottage and are taking the dogs, so it should be a lovely, low-key holiday. Not sure how much writing I’ll get done while I’m there, so I want to get stuff sorted in my head before we go.
- Don’t forget Daylight Savings Time ended here in the U.S. today. Roll your clocks back an hour. I’m so grateful that it’s over. I HATE DST because it means it’s dark when I get up in the morning. Given my extreme Non-Morning-Personness, this makes it HARD HARD HARD to get up because if it’s dark my brain says “What are you doing, fool? It’s dark; you should be sleeping!”