- Well if you’ve been around the blog at all, you’ll know that I finished and released Be Careful, It’s My Heart, which was my biggest goal for this round of ROW80.
- My goals for the rest of the round (we have about a month left) have shifted somewhat. I decided I wanted to write my ebook formatting class, which I haven’t begun yet. That’ll be after Thankgiving.
- That, too, gives me a chance to see how my various books perform through the Christmas season. I’ve been focused on regaining traction with my Mirus audience after such a long time apart, and that hasn’t gone quite as smoothly as I’d hoped. Be Careful is something of an experiment–completely outside the genre around which I built a brand. I’m infinitely curious as to how it will be received. In general, contemporary romance as a genre is hot hot hot right now (and I don’t just mean the smexy new adult tends).
- From a purely practical standpoint, if BC does better than my paranormal stuff, then the bulk of my focus will likely shift to contemporary for a while. It’s what I’ve been pulled to write the last year or so and have (other than this novella), largely resisted because I felt it was a disservice to my established fanbase. But that fanbase isn’t as wide or enduring as I’d hoped (which is not a surprise–two years is a very long time to disappear in this business) and I have to do what makes the most financial sense. Which is not to say that I’m abandoning my Mirus series or leaving paranormal altogether, but it won’t be receiving the lion’s share of my attention.
- The ability to make that change, to try new things, and write what I’m pulled to write is part of what I love about self publishing. As my interests or the market or my abilities change and grow, I can adapt with them. And that’s a glorious sort of freedom. I hope those new directions are something that readers will enjoy.
- In other news, today I am DOING ALL THE THINGS to catch up from being gone last week and prepare for Thanksgiving. Lots of chores, cooking, and other stuff.
- Is anybody else completely freaking out that they haven’t started Christmas shopping?