- We are getting more and more back to normal here at Chez Nolan. Down to one room that needs some work before putting to rights, and that’s scheduled for Tuesday. Then the rest of our stuff can go right back where it lives. And I can’t wait.
- Hubby had to work a 12 hour shift yesterday. Since I was home rather than at the coffee shop for my usual Saturday morning writing session, I opted to do some work on the yard. I attacked the weeds, which were bad, but not yet jungle status. Can I just say that whoever decided pompus grass was an acceptable form of landscaping should be shot? That crap will cut you to ribbons. I look like I’ve been in a fight with a bear or something. Or at least a very very angry cat. After I finished that, I spread 3 truck loads of mulch. I had actually intended to just pick up the third and spread that today, but it occurred to me that I might not actually be able to MOVE today, and I didn’t want to leave mulch in the truck all week, so I went ahead and finished it. That got…MOST of the front. We still need at least 2 loads to finish the last of the front and the beds in the back. Maybe 3. Since I’m in the MODE, I would finish today while hubs is mowing and weed eating and all the rest, but the co op isn’t open on Sundays, so no bulk mulch for me. And that’s probably good. I’m not crippled today, so I should quit while I’m still ahead.
- I also started a project yesterday to make an awning/canopy thing for my back patio. In the very long run, I want to build a pergola, but that’s going to be a few thousand bucks that we may never have, so I’ve been contemplating alternatives. In some newsletter or other I get, I saw something last week about outdoor dining and making a little canopy out of a canvas drop cloth. So I got to designing yesterday morning and sorted out a way (I think) to pull it off for about $60–which is cheaper than ANYTHING I could BUY for this purpose. I got the drop cloth (15′ x12′) washed and dried (because the idea is that I can wash it when it gets gross and it was going to shrink…better to get that done BEFORE I put in my grommets), attached the grommets, and cut the bamboo polls to length for the poles and frame. I did all this AFTER the weeding and mulching, so that was as far as I got. I’ll (hopefully) finish up today. Hubby doesn’t think I’ll actually USE the back porch, even with it, but if I had some freaking SHADE, I probably would. Anyway, I’ll take some pics once it’s up (assuming it works the way I think).
- On the writing front I’ve gotten…about 4k written this week. Of that, around 1,500 was plotting notes for a new Meet Cute. The rest is on TGMTY, where I finally figured out (mostly) a very troublesome scene that I skipped over and has been holding me up. My goal today is to finish that scene before we go out for my MIL’s birthday dinner. And to conquer Mount Washmore.