- Went to see Maleficent today. I really enjoyed it. I think the people who aren’t liking it are wanting/expecting something that’s much darker, seeing a truly evil villain. That isn’t what this movie is. I think it’s a really good example of how everyone is the hero of their own story. I thought Angelina Jolie did a great job in this particular role. Some of the other characters were really shallow and one dimensional, but overall, I was happy.
- It was a busy week at the EDJ helping a state agency get a grant out the door. Don’t get me started on people who procrastinate and can’t follow directions. :stabbity:
- Because of that, I didn’t get as much done on the writing front as I’d like. But I am solidly back to drafting TGMTY. I turned out about 7k this week, around half of which was actual prose. The other half was plotting. I’m really pleased with how this revised version is coming together.
- I also made some significant progress this weekend on my current Mirus plot bunny. It’s morphing from a fuzzy thing into something with actual plot. There’s gonna be some really cool new aspects of the world I get to show in this story. And I figured out some links between the Clementine cell of the Underground and the one in New Orleans. It’s aaaaaall coming together. So I’m really happy with how that’s coming as well.
- My house is officially back to normal. All the furniture is back in place. I can’t tell you how happy I am that my CHAIR is where it’s supposed to be. And my library/office is back to normal, without all that excess crap cluttering it up. My house actually looks ginormous with the furniture back where it properly goes, instead of jammed cheek by jowl into all the other rooms.
- I’m currently reading City of Heavenly Fire, which is the first dead tree book I’ve picked up since…well, I can’t remember the last dead tree book I read. I read pretty much exclusively ebooks these days. A lot of the paper books I’ve picked up have print that’s SO FLIPPING TINY. Like 8 point font tiny. I like being able to dial the size up on my Kindle. Anyway, I’m really enjoying the book. I loved books 1-3 of The Mortal Instruments. 4 and 5 weren’t bad but I didn’t love. 6 is bringing back everything that delighted me about the first three. Plus a lot of little crossovers and Easter eggs from The Infernal Devices, and those are just awesome.
- I’m currently in mourning. Yesterday I went back to my favorite coffee shop for the first time in a month and I found out that they will no longer have my favorite biscuits. They’re in the process of building a kitchen downstairs, and once that’s ready, they’ll bring back some kind of breakfast sandwich. But it won’t be the same. I haz a serious sad. So of course my new crusade is to try and duplicate the biscuits at home. I haven’t actually made my own, real, roll out biscuits in….God. YEARS. Definitely years before the gluten free thing. The sole silver lining to this situation is that I no longer have to get up early on Saturday to get there.